Wednesday, April 30

Stories Of Hope by Kirthi Jayakumar

Stories of HopeStories of Hope by Kirthi Jayakumar
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



What a brilliant bunch of stories! I have become a huge fan of this young  author whose writing is just plain unadulterated 'awesomeness'. Kirthi's language flows beautifully, serenading us into the exquisitely  worlds she paints for us with every single story.I don't normally read short stories, but I was excited to read this book when Kirthi asked me if I'd be interested in reviewing it. The prose is lush, poignant and  breathtakingly beautiful. I loved the range of stories Kirthi has presented in this collection. The stories paint myriad shades of human emotions, often sad and gut-wrenching, yet always compelling.

My favourite was the story Flowers from Andromanque which was spooky and fun at the same time. My second favourite was The Watchmaker , which is a heart-wrenching story of a beautiful relationship between a boy and a watch-maker. Kirthi goes futuristic with her story 'Remorse', which was also an interesting premise. Many stories have been narrated in the first person , which makes reading them all the more compelling. But more than the language ,I think what comes across clearly is Kirthi's  understanding of human emotions and her compassion towards people in less-fortunate circumstances. Most stories end with their protagonists finding new ways to tackle their demons. Most accept their predicament , some don't , but almost all the protagonists move on in one way or the other.

Overall an awesome book that will leave you yearning for more. Full length novel, please:)  


View all my reviews

No comments: